Public Works


Garbage Collection – The Town provides collection of garbage and solid waste each Friday for residents.

Roll carts are provided to each household and should be placed on the curbside by early Friday morning to ensure pickup.  Damaged or stolen carts may be replaced by contacting Town Hall during regular hours.  Garbage collection is provided under contract by Waste Management of SC.

Yard waste, composed of small limbs and leaves is collected on an as needed basis.  Residents should create separate piles of leaves and limbs as specific machinery is used to collect each.

Larger items, such as appliances and furniture, are only collected semi annually during community wide clean up events and are widely publicized in advance.  Large items may be taken by the resident to the County Landfill any time of the year.  Hazardous materials, tires, paint, and related materials should be taken directly to the landfill.

Residents may also deposit household trash at the Spartanburg County Collection Center located on Ellis Road.  (Directions – US Hwy 29 towards Spartanburg, turn left at first traffic light onto Clifton Road, Collection Center on left.) Open 7am – 7 pm Monday thru Saturday. The Collection Center does not accept furniture, tires, lumber or other large items.  These items must be collected by private contractors or taken to the County Landfill in Wellford.


Road & Street Maintenance – Most all streets and roadways in the Town are owned and maintained by either the South Carolina Department of Transportation (SC DOT) or the Spartanburg County Department of Roads & Bridges.

Employees of the Town Street Department will remove fallen limbs, dead animals and debris from the roadways when State and County work crews are unavailable.

Traffic signals are maintained exclusively by the SC DOT.

The town maintains local street signs, and occasionally mows grass and weeds along roadsides which are not maintained on a regular basis by other agencies.

SC DOT  Spartanburg Maintenance – (864) 587-4725
SC Highway Patrol – (864) 587-4700
Spartanburg County Roads & Bridges – (864) 595-5320


Animal Control Complaints regarding pets and animals are handled jointly by the Town of Cowpens and Spartanburg County Environmental Enforcement.

Barking dog complaints and incidents involving serious injury or the threat of immediate injury should be reported to the Cowpens Police Department.

Spartanburg County Environmental Enforcement handles incidents of animals roaming at large, rabies tags, license violations, dangerous, vicious, and nuisance animals, strays and unwanted animals and animals that must be quarantined.  (864) 596-3582


Water & Sewer – The Spartanburg Water System and Spartanburg Sanitary Sewer District maintain and control all aspects of the water and sewer systems.

Questions or comments concerning water and sewer should be directed to (864) 582-6375.